Estimating Edge’s team of experienced construction professionals and software engineers have developed the industry’s smartest takeoff and estimating software solutions for competitive estimates. Don’t just estimate faster. Estimate better.
Dig Overview – Boards, Problems, Solutions
Type of Digitizers:
Super-L, Super L-II, Super L-II+,SLIII, SLIV, SLVI, Roll up II, Roll up III
NOTE: GTCO says digitizers must be connected directly to the computer and NOT through a docking station.
Cable Connections for Digitizers:
Super L, Super LII or II+ – uses a serial cable with a 110v AC/DC power supply. The Super L II+ produces a “tone” to inform you of various events.
- 4 Short (1/16 second) beeps at power up means the diagnostics have passed.
- 3 Medium (1/4 second) beeps means the menu mode has been aborted.
- 15 Medium (1/4 second) beeps means the grid is disconnected or malfunctioning, call GTCO have their tech Support confirm.
- Continuous at power up diagnostics have failed, call GTCO have their Tech Support confirm.
SL3 – uses a serial cable connection, but the power supply connects to the serial cable at the back of the computer via a split connector.
SLIV & SLVI – come with USB and serial cable connections. When using a USB connection, DO NOT use the power supply cable. When using the Serial cable, Use the power supply cord. Remember: Never use both USB and serial cables at the same time.
Roll Up II – uses a serial cable connection with a power supply.
Roll Up III – comes with USB and serial cable connections. When using the USB connection, DO NOT use the power supply cable. When using the Serial cable, Use the 110v AC/DC power supply . Remember: Never use both USB and serial connections at the same time.
First Questions To Ask:
– What version of the EDGE are you using?
– What type (SL-?) of digitizer do you have?
– How is the digitizer power source connected?
– Has this been working all along, or is this a different computer?
– Have you recently added software, hardware or other changes?
Most Common Problems:
– No crosshairs on drawing screen
– Red X on tabletworks icon
Using Version 7 Only: Version 7 – only uses a serial connection, not a USB connection
1. Make sure a tabletworks driver has NOT been installed.
2. Check the digitizer connection – refer back to Connections for Digitizers above.
3. A proper USB to serial port adaptor will work. A Keyspan USB adapter is what we sell and recommend.
4. The com port may have to change on the adaptor to reflect the selection in the Version 7.x EDGE.
5. If Tabletworks is installed, it must be turned off. (The Red X should be present).
Using Version 9 or Newer Version:
1. The GTCO Tabletworks Driver must be installed.
2. You can use either a USB or Serial Cable connection in this version. Please refer back to Connections for digitizers above.
Using Version 7 & 9 Or Any Newer Version:
1. The GTCO Tablet works Driver must be installed.
2. You must use the serial connection.
3. The proper USB to Serial Adapter will work. A Keyspan USB adaptor is what we sell and recommend.
4. The com port may have to change on the adapter to reflect the selection in the Version 7.x EDGE. Whenever possible, use com 2 or com 1.
1. Reset power supply from surge protector
2. Move pen completely off board
3. Shut down and Restart computer (Tabletworks should give 1 beep after it recognizes board)
Detailed Fix Version 8.7 to10:
1. No crosshairs, go to step #2
2. Red X on Tabletworks icon, go to step #3
3. Move pen completely off board
4. Reset power supply from surge protector or usb port. If you hear 4 beeps, go to next step. If multiple beeps, go to #9. If no beeps, you don’t have power.
5. Go to Help | About. System must be Standard, (review or manual will not digitize). If Standard, go to next step.
6. Restart computer – Tabletworks should give 1 beep
7. Do the following
a) Make sure board has been found (white box should display board).
b) Specify a cursor should be checked.
c) Stylus should be selected as cursor type.
d) Close Tabletworks and move pen off board.
e) Right click Tabletworks Icon, click Reset Tabletworks.
f) Check for RED – X on Tabletworks icon. If NO X proceed below. If X present go to #9.
8. Start the EDGE, open an existing job, move to Drawing screen check for crosshairs.
9. If no crosshairs call GTCO Tech Support and give the clients name, contact name, phone and a brief description of problem and steps you have performed or give client GTCO’s phone number 1-800-344-4723 and have the client call GTCO.
Reset power to controller by disconnecting power and serial cables then reconnect.
You’ve done the above and it still does not work at all (does not recognize Tabletworks)
– Shut down computer. Move stylus completely off board, restart computer.
If doesn’t work:- Uninstall tabletworks, restart, re-install tabletworks and reset settings go t step #6 above.
If Tableworks is recognized but you only get a mouse pointer:
– Shut down computer. Move stylus completely off board, restart computer.
If doesn’t work:
– Do a Zapreg (sometimes someone sets the entire digitizer board as a mouse pad or some other setting is messed up. The Zapreg fixes these issues)
– Make sure all electronic objects (monitors, keyboards, phones, etc.) are at least 18″ away from board.
Detailed Fix Version 7 Only:
1. No crosshairs, go to next step.
2. Go to Help | About The Edge for Windows. System must be Standard, (review or manual will not digitize). If Standard, go to next step.
3. Reset power supply from surge protector you hear multiple beeps go to #12. If no beeps or if you hear 4 beeps, go to next step.
4. Is there power to the digitizer (ie do you see light on pen or board on hard board along with 4 beeps when resetting. If yes, go to #5. If no, go to #10.
5. Red X on Tabletworks icon (tabletworks must be turned off or not present for version 7).
6. Click Tools | Test digitizer. Move pen on active area of board. You should see X and Y coordinates with a button code of 0. If you press the pen down on the board, the code should change to be 1. If code doesn’t change, pen is bad and needs replacing. If changes, go to next step. If no coordinates, go to #10.
7. Press 2 on keyboard (to zoom all or fit to screen), then click Drawing |Set Digitizer Horizontal, and press Enter for the default horizontal. Check for crosshairs again. If no, go to next step.
8. Click Tools | Options | Drawing. Make sure Drawing device is set to Digitizer (not mouse). Also click the “Pen Buttons” tab and make sure Use Digimouse is unchecked (in case they accidentlally set the entire board to digimouse). Also click the “Digitizer” tab and make sure Sonic Digitizer is unchecked (unless they have a sonic digitizer). Click OK and proceed to next step.
9. Go to drawing screen and check for crosshairs. If none, go to next step.
10. Restart computer – Tabletworks should be disabled. Click Tools | Test Digitizer again for coordinates. If no, go to next step. If yes, go to drawing screen and see if there are crosshairs. If you have coordinates but no crosshairs, go to step #7.
11. Verify Com port in EDGE is correct (Tools | Options | Digitizer). Click OK. Exit The EDGE, then go back in. Also make sure serial cable is connected at both ends.
12. If no crosshairs (or coordinates) call GTCO Tech Support abd give the clients name, contact name, phone and a brief description of problem and steps you have performed or give client GTCO’s phone number 1-800-344-4723 and have the client call GTCO